Thursday, February 17, 2011

My four-footed conscience


Lawrence Toppman:

I know I have little hope of reaching my weight goal, unless I exercise virtually every weekday for 45 minutes. But as one of the great rationalizers of the western world, I have an infinite supply of reasons why I should skip a session on any given day: I overslept, I'm late for work, my feet hurt, my back aches, on and on and on.

Each time I'm choosing from this list of excuses, my kitten comes along, sits down in front of the treadmill and stares at me implacably, until I get my walking shoes. I realize she's merely hoping I'll leave them unguarded for a second, so she can achieve her dream of chewing through every shoelace in the house. But she watches, unblinking and unmoving, until I tie them up and get on the machine.

One day, I set the machine going while I was adjusting the TV in front of it. She climbed onto the moving belt and shot off the back end. She did this once more, like a kid testing a boring new ride at Carowinds, then trotted away with a "What's the point of THIS?" look. I understood her reaction -- but I did my 45 minutes anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Keep going and you WILL see a difference. I have to walk out doors because I don't have a treadmill but that's okay unless it's raining. Of course you have to watch what you eat, too. Although I only walk ( at a fast pace) I read Runner's World for their excellent tips and injury information. You should pick up a copy.

joa said...

Hah, Rosie's mother ate through my tape measure last week as I had her and my knitting in my lap! Love the William Howard Taft anecdote. How much have you got rid of? I'm down 15 lbs. since Oct., sloooooooowwwwwww but steady. JRG