Thursday, February 3, 2011

Y'all are helping...I guess

Lawrence Toppman:

So I'm getting coffee at Dean & DeLuca after a morning movie screening at Phillips Place, and someone I don't know says, "Hope you're not putting cream in that! Cream makes you fat." I notice he is eating a chocolate muffin the size of a softball, but I don't say anything unkind.

Another day, I'm getting a bagel sandwich at lunch -- egg, swiss cheese and mushrooms on pumpernickel -- and somebody behind me in line says, "That cheese isn't going to help your calorie count." He is smiling in a friendly way, so I don't point out that he looks as if he last helped HIS calorie count when Clinton was president.

I've been recognized for a long time as a critic, so I'm used to folks coming up and chatting as if they knew me. (Usually, they don't even ask if I AM me.) I like it, too. But with this weight-loss blog, passers-by often end up sounding like disapproving aunts watching a nephew sneak behind the house for a smoke.

I always tell myself they mean well, and they're trying to offer encouragement. In the end, it redoubles my desire to stick with this steady but gradual program -- if only so I can eat a chocolate muffin the size of a softball myself someday, free of guilt and free of commentary. But not any time soon, I fear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if I sympathize or not ! ... of course these people have no business talking to you about calories, but on the other hand you put your self out there publicly and foolishly resisting any realistic approach towards your health care goals !!

Anonymous said...

Have another martini.

GirlFriday said...

We are all guilty of the familiarity....I guess it is along the lines of 'misery loves company'...even in the line at Dean & Deluca! Keep up the great work and remember: You are only human!