Monday, February 14, 2011

"Gloom, despair and agony on me..."

Lawrence Toppman

"...deep, dark depression, excessive misery." I went backwards! (Yes, I am quoting a song from "Hee-Haw." Luckily, I do not yet look like Junior Samples.)

Despite exercising every weekday and being careful about sweets and pasta, I have gained half a pound since last Monday. Could my wife be dropping Chee-Tos into my open mouth while I snore? Are the cats sprinkling cereal on my kashi on Saturday mornings? (They watch me with unreadable expressions when I sit down to breakfast, but I think they're laughing.)

I also think, frankly, that I didn't eat enough. I fasted a couple of afternoons; this did my body no favors, because my system began to slow down. I took in less and put out even less than that. Small meals, sensible meals, spaced-out meals -- those make sense. Skipping meals did not.

The odd thing was, my pants fit better. My wife says I look better. I FEEL better. Maybe all the walking has redistributed the avoirdupois without significantly lessening it yet. Garrumph.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plateaus are bound to happen. Stay the course!

Anonymous said...

Agreed.

Plus, look carefully at what you ate and drank.

Anonymous said...

I commend your effort Mr Toppman! A suggestion to help you is to throw away the scale completely. If you want to track your progress, get a full length and this will give a true picture of how you are doing. Best Wishes!!

Anonymous said...

Mirror...sorry

Anonymous said...

Make sure you are eating enough. Sounds dumb, but I recently learned that 1100 calories and 5x/week workouts made my body starve. If you are working out like a fiend, eat enough calories. Talk to your doc if you aren't sure.

Unknown said...

I knew you were a renaissance man. Catch Hee Haw on the RFD channel.

Matt W said...

You are building muscle faster than burning fat. Keep it up and it will soon balance and the muscle will burn more calories.